Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Baptism Cookies


I searched high and low for a recipe that would be good for my little cousin's baptism party on Saturday.
I wanted something that could sit out all day, since the party was going to span both lunch and dinner. I wanted something that could withstand a mild Arizona spring heatwave. And I wanted something that was easy to grab and nibble on while standing, since the party was buffet-style.
And, as usual, I wanted something I could make quickly. I had a lot of basketball to watch on Friday.
I rediscovered a gem on allrecipes.com that I bookmarked (and then forgot about) long ago. The recipe is titled "Scarlett's Best Ever Sugar Cookies," but the name is a bit deceiving. They're not *really* sugar cookies. They're crunchier. And they are loaded with pecans. Those who tested out the cookies and posted comments on the site debated whether they are actually more like a pecan sandie. My husband said they tasted like a pecan shortbread cookie.
I have begun calling them "baptism cookies." Cuz I made them for the baptism celebration. So there.
Regardless. They're good. They're bite-sized. They're crisp. They're dusted with sugar. And I think they're slightly addicting.
And maybe I should mention... the recipe makes a TON of cookies. Seriously. When all was said and done, I probably made about 120 cookies.
Once I realized I had pleeeentyyyyy of cookies for the baptism party (and still half the dough left), I dumped the rest of the dough into a Tupperware container, and stuck it in the fridge. I took the cookies I had already made to the baptism, and then on Sunday, I heated the oven back up, and started throwing more cookies in. I sent some to work with Mike and brought some in for my co-workers. And I still have some at home. Good thing I like them.
Next time, I'll either cut the recipe in half, or I'll freeze half of the dough to use later.

Ingredients

1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable oil
2 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter, and oil. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the pecans. Roll the dough into balls the size of walnuts. Place balls onto ungreased sheet.

3. Press each ball down with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
(If possible, find a glass with a decorative bottom to give the cookies a pattern. I couldn't find one, so I just used a plain juice glass. They taste just as good.)


4. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.


0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008