Thursday, May 14, 2009

Fresh Blueberry Banana Bread



I started making this recipe last summer - it's been a hit every time I've made it. I read about this recipe on my newspaper's Web site, and then I made it several times, including several times in Ohio last August.

But blueberries were on sale at my grocery store this week. And I'm itching to make it again! I think the banana and crunchy topping are what really make it. I made it a bit healthier by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the Crisco.

Here is the original story.

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons flour plus 1 3/4 cups flour (separate uses)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter flavored Crisco
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas

Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup ground nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Toss the washed blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside. Sift the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.

In large bowl, cream the Crisco and gradually beat in the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the flour mixture alternately with the mashed banana, stirring until blended. Stir in the blueberries.

Pour mixture into greased loaf pan. Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle on top of batter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean. Makes 1 loaf.



Source: tampabay.com

2 comments:

Kelly

This looks sooo good. I might try to make it this weekend. With blueberries and bread how can you go wrong?

Marti

I was going to make this last weekend but didn't. Maybe this weekend? Mmmmmmmmm...

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008