Monday, June 15, 2009

Mini Meatloaves

Ok, this isn't a dessert. But I did "bake" it, and it's easy and delicious. And I suppose we all need some non-sweet food now and then. But not too often.
I steer clear of red meat as much as I can, but a couple years ago, I got a weird craving for meatloaf. So I went searching for a recipe, and that's when Mini Meatloaves came into my life:

They are way easy. You just mix together a bunch of stuff in a bowl, form it into little mounds, and pop them in the oven for 45 minutes. Behold:

My husband raves about them. It is one of my few cooking specialties (along with pizza, stir fry and grilled cheese. He's a much better cook than I).

Ingredients
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound beef (I use ground turkey instead)
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground beef, mixing well, and form this mixture into eight miniature meatloaves.* Place these in a lightly greased 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf.**
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 minutes.

Source: allrecipes.com

*I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup to form the meatloaves. They come out a little more uniform that way. Using 1/2 cup makes them a little bigger, so I end up with 6 instead of 8.
**I suppose you could just use plain ketchup for the topping, but I think it is really worth it to go the extra step and make the ketchup-mustard-brown-sugar concoction. It's really good.

1 comments:

Kelly

Meg - these look so good. I gotta try them soon. They are really cute too, for a meatloaf and all.

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008