Sunday, August 16, 2009

I dub thee: Bridal Shower Cookies

I was one of Kristin's co-matrons of honor at her wedding in November, and when it came time for her bridal shower a couple of months before, I really wanted to go. But it would have meant flying to Ohio for a few days, and since I was about to get married myself, I was low on vacation time and, well, money.

But I really wanted to help her sister, the other co-matron, put it on. I obviously couldn't help decorate. I couldn't prepare food. I couldn't greet guests. So I told her I would handle the favors.

I considered all sorts of possibilities. Candles. Something fall-themed. Fall-themed candles.
I wanted to do something edible (cuz who really needs a fall-themed candle?), but I was worried, as usual, about sending stuff from the desert heat.

Then it struck me: Jarred cookie mixes. I love how mixes look in clear containers, with different-colored layers. Plus, dry ingredients don't melt. Yay!

I didn't want to send jars, though, because of the weight, so I got jar-shaped tupperware. My friend Kelly came over for an afternoon, and we set up a makeshift assembly line in my kitchen.


I think we made about 30 of those bad boys, but it actually didn't take too long, with two people tackling the job (thanks, Kelly!). Then I added some fabric, ribbon and pretty paper for the ingredients and directions. I'm told they were a big hit.


The reason I'm blogging about these now, months later, is because these don't just make pretty favors. They're actually also really good cookies. My husband says they're one of his top three favorite things I bake. He's been strongly hinting for weeks that I should make them again, so when I was asked to bake something for a staff meeting at work, I figured it was time to bust out this recipe again.

It's basically an oat-chocolate chip cookie, but the rice crispies give it just a tiny bite that I love. And they disappeared rather quickly at the staff meeting, which is always a positive sign.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
Directions

* In a 1-quart jar, layer the ingredients in the order listed. Pack down firmly after each addition.


* Attach a tag with the following instructions:

Cookie in a Jar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup margarine until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 egg and 2 tablespoons water. Add the entire contents of the jar, and stir until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.


Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008