Sunday, August 23, 2009

Seminary Muffins

Meg and I recently took a trip to San Francisco with our husbands. We hadn't seen each other since my wedding in November, and we rarely see each other more than once a year, so it was super exciting to all be able to get together.


We ate lots of delicious lunches, dinners and desserts on our trip (more on some of those later!), but we ate cost-savvy breakfasts at the hotel, snacking on food we packed in our suitcases. My husband isn't a big breakfast eater, so I brought granola bars and oatmeal and looked for something I could bake that would travel well and stay moist.

I found what I wanted in these Seminary Muffins. They traveled well although were a bit mushy - I think because I used a little too much banana :) And they're oil- and butter-free! I liked having the chocolate chips and nuts in there for some extra zing and energy.


INGREDIENTS

* 1 egg
* 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe banana
* 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup applesauce
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup quick cooking oats
* 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 12 cup muffin pan.


2. In a large bowl, combine egg, banana, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Gently stir flour mixture and oatmeal into banana mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.


4. Bake in preheated oven or 15 to 20 minutes, or until light brown. Remove muffins from pan and place on a wire rack to let cool before serving.

Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008