Monday, October 4, 2010

Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats

I wanted to make something different for our monthly craft gathering in September. I didn't have a lot of time to bake, I wanted something fairly healthy and I was intrigued by a set of recipes, centered around peanut butter, featured in Health magazine.

I decided the dessert-y peanut butter recipe was the one I'd go with, and I substituted the rice cereal I had in my pantry for the brown rice cereal called for in the recipe.

I really liked these bars - they were packed full of protein and were a great snack that was super quick and easy to make. I think they'd be delicious with dried cranberries, too. My only complaint? They got really crumbly when they were out of the refrigerator for an extended period of time. They were yummy and crunchy when they were chilled.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
3/4 cup honey
6 cups crispy brown rice cereal
2/3 cup chopped dried cherries

Directions:

Combine peanut butter and honey in a large pot; cook over medium-low heat until they are melted together (about 2-3 minutes).

Add cereal and cherries to the mixture; stir until sticky.

Press into 9- x 13-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Chill in refrigerator 40 minutes.

Cut in to squares, serve.

Source: Health magazine

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008