Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Angel Food Cake

I was in Ohio visiting family earlier this month, and I took full advantage of the crisp fall air and all of the pumpkin-flavored fare I could find. In a week, I consumed at least five pumpkin lattes or cappuccinos, two bowls of pumpkin ice cream, a pumpkin cookie and a pumpkin granola bar. To say I'm a bit obsessed would be an understatement.

Toward the end of our trip, we went out to dinner for my father-in-law's 80th birthday. Dinner and dessert were buffet-style, which can mean only one thing: Danger. I tried to behave myself, I really did, but I still had to sample some carmel-apple bars and a delicious-looking carrot cake. One thing I pointed out to my husband but did not try: Pumpkin angel food cake.

The yummy-looking cake did not stray far from my mind - and when I returned to Florida, I searched for a recipe. I found one easily, and it was quite simple. I realized I do not have a true angel food cake pan - I have a Bundt pan, and apparently there is a difference. But I used loaf pans and made pumpkin loaf, and while it was sticky (I don't think I baked it quite long enough), it was very good, and I knew that it was a lot healthier than the carrot cake I had consumed in Ohio.

I had a little bit of pumpkin left over, so I combined it with some whipped cream, added some cinnamon and other spices and created a "pumpkin spread" for my pumpkin angel food cake loaf. This treat did not last long in our house.

Ingredients

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
14 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
Additional ground cinnamon, optional

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold a fourth of the batter into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in the remaining batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.

2. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 38-44 minutes or until top is golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour. (To make the loaves, I followed the baking instructions on the package.)

3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish each slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping; sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Yield: 14 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 151 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.

Source: Taste of Home

1 comments:

Carol Royer

Kristin, thanks for adding the nutritional stuff. Being a diabetic, I like to know how many carbs I'm consuming. Not that it would stop me from sampling it...lol
Carol

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008