Monday, January 17, 2011

Carolyn's Oh-So-Easy Cherry Cobbler

My husband's birthday was last month, and I asked him what he wanted for his "birthday dessert." He requested the cheesecake I've made for him for the last few years, and he also asked for cherry cobbler. One of his aunts makes a killer cherry cobbler (memo to self: I need to get that recipe) every year for their family's Christmas gathering, and he wanted a taste of home.

We were attending a party the week before his actual birthday, so I told him I'd bake the desserts for that party - there is no sense in us having two full desserts to eat when it just him and I (and the baby, but she's not quite ready for cheesecake just yet). The party was billed as a holiday party, hosted by some friends, but it was actually a surprise birthday/poker party for my husband. I was very excited about the party, and I was quite pleased with myself for keeping such a secret, and then he found out that the party was for him ... nine hours before the party was to begin. Sigh.

But the party went on, and it was a blast, full of good friends, good times, and of course, good food. I was baking a lot that week for Christmas gifts and gatherings, so I wanted something fool-proof, cheap and simple. I found what I was looking for with this recipe.

I'm not a cobbler expert, but the buttermilk baking mix of this dish definitely came through. I think I was prepared for something sweeter, like a cherry pie, but after I had a few bites, it really started to grow on me. We served it cold, but I imagine it would be absolutely delicious served warm.

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pitted tart red cherries, drained with liquid reserved
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup buttermilk baking mix
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Stir the liquid from the cherries and 1/2 cup sugar together in a small glass bowl; heat in the microwave until the sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.

3. Stir the baking mix, 1/2 cup sugar, and milk together in a separate small bowl; mix until you get a moist batter. Spread the mixture in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the cherries evenly over the batter. Slowly pour the cherry juice over the cherries.


4. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.

Nutritional Information:
Amount Per Serving:  Calories: 231 | Total Fat: 0.7g | Cholesterol: 2mg

Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008