Monday, February 7, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Cracker Candy

I got this recipe a few years ago from the TV writer at the paper I worked at in Pittsburgh. It is super easy and the perfect treat for someone who likes sweet and salty snacks. This is also a good way to use up saltine crackers - I know whenever I buy them, whether they be for soups, sickness or for pregnancy-related nausea (no, I'm not pregnant again, just having a bit of a flash back!), I always ended up with an extra sleeve or two of these crackers.

I gave some of this tasty treat away as part of Christmas gifts and cookies plates but kept some in the fridge (making it waaayyyyyy too easy to snack on, but that's what the holidays are all about, right?!).

I've also seen it made with graham crackers instead of saltines, which would give a sweet and sweet snack, but a yummy one just the same.

Two pieces of advice: A.) Be careful to make sure no foil sticks to your broken up pieces. B.) Avoiding "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" will help with this, as the consistency really changes and makes the butter layer gummy, sticking to the foil but not the chocolate as well.

Ingredients:
Saltine ingredients
1 cup real butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 (12-oz.) package chocolate chips

Directions:
Line a cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan with two layers of foil, cover with 35 saltine crackers.

Heat together brown sugar and butter, stirring. Boil for three minutes (keep stirring).

Pour over crackers. Bake in over at 350 degrees for five minutes.


Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let sit for five minutes.


Spread the melted chocolate. Refrigerate overnight. Then break in to pieces. Keep refrigerated.

Source: A former coworker

1 comments:

Lisa

That looks like a great thing to munch on when you want something sweet. I once tried this and mine didn't come out, but it looks like yours had no problems at all. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog that will be going on until this evening and I'd like to invite you to come by and link your treat up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008