Monday, April 4, 2011

Easy Pepperoni Rolls

Drool ...
Shock of all shocks, we had a work potluck a while ago. I wanted to make something in additional to my usual dessert contribution, so I started brainstorming what I could make with the leftover pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese from this recipe. Initially, I thought "pizza rolls" - but I was thinking I'd do something time-intensive and elaborate, like making the dough myself, making the large, cheesy rolls almost as big as biscuits.

But then reality hit - I don't have time, or really, patience, for that. So I found a recipe for something that would require ingredients that I had on hand, aside from the packaged pizza crust, and not a ridiculous amount of time or effort. And then I modified the recipe a bit - the first batch I made was in a 9x13 pan and I used two packages of dough. Since then, I've made them a few times with one package of dough in a round 8- or 9-inch pan and half of the rest of the ingredients. I tried to make note of my changes below, but really, I kind of wing it and haven't failed yet.

In summary, my version of these rolls is very unscientific, but the end result is still easy and delicious. We've had it as a snack or paired with a salad to make more of a meal. They're fantastic warm but also good cold. You can't go wrong with these, and they're great to serve at a party!


INGREDIENTS
2 cans (13.8 oz each) refrigerated classic pizza crust (I used Pillsbury's thin crust)
8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 48 cubes (I used about 1/2-1 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese)
48 slices pepperoni (3 oz) (I usually only use 16 or 32 depending on how many cans of dough I'm using.)
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (I put together a mix of seasonings and combine it with a dash of EVOO)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 
1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce, heated (I don't heat it)

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 400°F. Spray two 9-inch pie pans or one 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Remove dough from both cans. Unroll dough; starting at center, press out each dough rectangle with hands to form 12x8-inch rectangle. (I just unroll the dough.) Cut each rectangle into 24 squares. (I usually get 16.)

Sauce!
Pepperoni!
Cheese!
Top each square with cheese cube and pepperoni slice. Wrap dough around filling to completely cover; firmly press edges to seal. Place seam side down with sides touching in sprayed pie pans.


In small bowl, combine oil and Italian seasoning; mix well. Drizzle over filled dough in pans. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 400°F. for 16 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm pizza bites with warm pizza sauce.

Source: Pillsbury

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008