Monday, May 18, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

I had almost forgotten about this little gem over on Heather's blog. But when I went hunting for the Oreo cupcake recipe, it jumped out at me again and screamed, "Make me for craft party!" Never one to argue with reason (or yelling imaginary voices), I decided to make it for May's craft gathering.

As I was making it, I worried about each step and if I was dissolving the brown sugar enough, if the mixture was cooled enough, if my dip was very liquid-like. Therefore, I did not take many photos. But for all of my paranoia, this dip turned. out. GOOD. It really did taste like cookie dough, but without the salmonella threat of raw eggs. It held it's own with the spectacular selection of food and desserts that the girls brought - it was, by far, one of our finest food offerings EVER.

Because I am always looking for ways to cut calories, I served it with reduced fat graham crackers and reduced fat vanilla wafers.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
(I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter For Cooking and Baking)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extra
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened (I used reduced fat cream cheese)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions (with Heather's notes below):
1. In a small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat. Stir continuously until the brown sugar dissolves.


2. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.


3. Beat the softened cream cheese and confectioner's sugar for 1 minute.


4. Slowly beat in the cooled butter/brown sugar mixture. Beat for an additional minute.


5. Stir in the chocolate chips.


6. Pour mixture into serving bowl and refrigerate. (Note: The mixture will be very liquid-like at first. Refrigeration is necessary to make it a better consistency. If you are running short on time, you can also throw the mixture into the freezer for a little bit.)


7. Garnish with additional chips (optional).


(Another note: After refrigeration for an extended period of time, your dip will be very solid and un-dippable--your wafers or graham crackers will break! To achieve the best consistency, remove from the refrigerator 15-30 minutes prior to serving.)

Source: Heather's blog

4 comments:

Anonymous

OMG, now I am REALLY sorry I missed craft club! I will try to console myself by trying out this dip recipe! (One thing I seriously miss while being pg is eating raw cookie dough...)
xo
Kate

Dalia

This was addictive! I don't know if I should love you or hate you for introducing me to it.

Anonymous

I can't wait to try this...perhaps this weekend for Memorial Day festivities! :) Thanks!

Jen :)

Made 2 batches this weekend for parties. Loved by all. Thanks so much :)

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008