Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo celebrates the 1862 victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at the Battle of Puebla.
It isn't celebrated much in Mexico, except in the state of Puebla, but it is widely celebrated in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population. I live in Phoenix. So, I celebrate Cinco de Mayo (usually by eating a quesadilla and downing a margarita).
I decided that this year, my Cinco de Mayo spirit would manifest itself in Mexican cornbread.

Ingredients
*1 cup butter, melted
*1 cup white sugar
*4 eggs
*1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
*1/2 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
*1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
*1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
*1 cup all-purpose flour
*1 cup yellow cornmeal
*4 teaspoons baking powder
*1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in cream corn, chilies, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to corn mixture; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into center of the pan comes out clean.


Source: Allrecipes.com: Absolute Mexican Cornbread (submitted by Judy Spence)

My notes:
*As always, I read a bunch of the comments posted on this recipe's page, and there were a LOT. It's a popular one. The general consensus seemed to be that the recipe called for too much butter (which makes the cornbread too greasy) and too much sugar (which makes it too sweet). So I used about 1/2 cup of butter and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar.
*I had sharp cheddar cheese in the fridge, so I used that instead of the monterey jack and cheddar combo.
*I threw in the whole 4 oz. can of green chilies. Cuz I like me some green chilies.
*I randomly decided to check on my cornbread after only 47 minutes, just to see how it was doing. I'm really glad I did, because it was done. So, keep an eye on this one!
*The end result: It was my first attempt at cornbread, and I was not disappointed. It was perfectly moist (but not greasy), and the chilies gave it a little flair. I will be making this for every Cinco de Mayo from now on!

1 comments:

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus}

"... widely celebrated in U.S. cities with a significant Mexican population." Or ... "most college towns." Or ... "anywhere people like to drink for no reason." Woo!

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008