Monday, May 4, 2009

Cinnamon Spiced Muffins

Meg's recent post inspired me to make some muffins. I flipped through one of my trusty cookbooks and one recipe screamed to me. Why? Because it was 2 a.m., I had just gotten home from work and I wanted to relieve some stress without having to run out to the grocery store ... and I had everything I needed to make these gems!

OK, I lie. I had *almost* everything I needed. And I improvised to make up for what I didn't have ... and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I didn't have allspice. I didn't have ground coriander. I didn't have mini-muffin tins. Sooooo ... my adjustments are reflected in the recipe below.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose)
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I used a bit more of this)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (I used some ginger instead)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (I used cinnamon)
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup butter, melted
1 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions:
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees F. Grease 36 mini-muffin cups (I used 14 regular sized muffin cups).

2. Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl. Combine milk, 1/3 cup butter and eggs in small bowl; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.


3. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Remove from pan. (I baked mine 16-18 minutes.)


4. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in shallow dish. Dip warm muffin tops in 1/4 cup melted butter, then in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve warm. (Or cold!)


I also imagine these would be really yummy with some shredded carrot or zucchini or even some raisins thrown in.

Source: Famous Brand Name 3 Books in 1: Cookies, Bars and Muffins

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008