Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lemon Coconut Pixies

Lemon Week has been fun for two reasons:

1. I got to bake and eat lots of lemon-y goodness.
2. I got to try out the new Hershey's cookbook that Kristin bought me for my birthday.

A Hershey’s cookbook is clutch for someone who loveslovesloves chocolate as much as I do. I must say, I was a bit concerned that it wouldn’t have any lemon-centric recipes and that I’d have to wait another week to test-drive this book.

But it did not disappoint me. I needed two more lemon recipes after the lemon loaves were devoured, and the Hershey’s cookbook has exactly TWO lemon recipes. And they both sounded really good.

I started with the “Lemon Coconut Pixies.” They were super easy to make. They have a very subtle lemon taste, and they’re a little crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.
One co-worker deemed them “addicting,” which I regard as one of the highest compliments a baked good can achieve.

Plus, they’re pretty. You can’t say that about many cookies.

Ingredients
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
Powdered sugar

Directions
Beat butter, sugar, eggs and lemon peel in large bowl until well blended. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to lemon mixture, beating until blended. Stir in coconut.


Cover and refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake at 300 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.


Store in tightly covered container in cool, dry place.

Source: Hershey's Recipe Collection

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008