Thursday, July 23, 2009

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Mike's boss, Lara, recommended this blog to me a couple of months back. Unfortunately, it was right around the time that Molly was taking a blog sabatical of sorts, but now she's back in action!


Lara has read Molly's book, which is now on my Amazon wishlist, and she was nice enough to pass along this recipe to me as a sneak peak of what I will find when I finally read it. I made these slow-roasted tomatoes over the weekend (and then snacked on them all week).


Ingredients


3.5 pounds of Roma tomatoes (probably about 20 tomatoes)
1 tablespoon olive oil (maybe a bit more)
Salt
Coriander


Directions


Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Slice ends of Romas off, and then cut in half. Place in a large bowl and drizzle oil over. With hands, mix them up so the oil coats them:

Place cut side up on baking pans/sheets. (Lara and I both greased the baking pans first.) Take a pinch of salt (Lara used kosher; I used regular table salt) and sprinkle on tomato halves (one pinch is good for about 4 halves). Take a pinch of Coriander and sprinkle on tomato halves (on pinch is good for about 4 halves).

Place in oven and roast for 4 - 6 hours. (Lara set the oven to 250 and roasted for 3.5 hours and covered in foil to take to a friend's for 4th of July. She figures they probably continued to cook in that environment for a little while longer). I roasted mine at 200 for a little over four hours:

Tomatoes will shrink to 3/4 or 1/2 their size (they will not look like sun dried tomatoes). Cool to room temperature and then eat. They keep in the fridge for about a week.

You can make more or less than this amount. I only used about 12 tomatoes, which made a good amount for two people to snack on all week. Lara thinks these also would be good on some crusty bread with cheese and basil or spinach. I think that's a brilliant idea.

They're so good. I'm a huge fan of tomatoes, so this is a great snack for me. I've eaten them as a side with lunch and dinner, and I've cut some up and thrown them on salads.

Source: A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008