Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hamburger Cookies

I remember making these with my mom for Girl Scout and Boy Scout functions ... they're easy, they're cute, and they are totally unexpected. They're easy for kids to help with, and they're a hit with kids and grown ups. Win, win, win!

My friend Stef sent me a recipe for them a few weeks ago and told me I had to make them. I told her I had made them, but it definitely convinced me that I should make them again. I decided I would make them for Julia's party, and they. were. a. hit.

But seriously, they are SO easy to make, it's criminal. Mind you, this was not an exact science. The recipe below is a blend of a recipe I found in Woman's Day magazine and several similar recipes I found online.

Ingredients:
vanilla wafers (hamburger buns)
white icing, tinted yellow and red (for mustard and ketchup) (I had about 1/3 cup of each)
white icing, untinted
several tablespoons green-tinted coconut (lettuce) (I think I probably had about 4 or 5 tablespoons)
mint patties (Thin Mints; Keebler produces one called Grasshoppers and Walmart has a generic version; peppermint patties can also be used) (hamburger)
sugar water or egg white (optional)
sesame seeds (top of bun) (optional)

Preparation: (The directions are step-by-step but it's a lot faster to do several cookies at once.)

Spoon yellow and red frosting in to separate Ziploc bags. Cut a tiny tip off one corner of each bag.


Place several vanilla wafers top side down. Put a small amount of white icing on one cookie so the patty sticks to the wafer. Place the patty on the wafer.


Pipe yellow and red frosting on to patty to resemble the mustard and ketchup. Sprinkle coconut on top.


Place another wafer on the frosting/coconut to "top" the burger.

Optional step to add sesame seeds: Paint top of "bun" with a little sugar water or egg white. Sprinkle with a few sesame seeds. Let dry before serving.

Note: You can also use green frosting instead of coconut for the lettuce.

Source: Misc.

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008