Sunday, May 23, 2010

Red Raspberry Chocolate Bars

We had a potluck at work recently for a co-worker's birthday, and I was in the mood to bake something different. I've been on a major fruit kick lately, so I wanted something that had at least a hint of fruit in it.


I perused the Hershey's cookbook that Kristin bought me last year. Every recipe I've made out of that book has been a home run, so I knew anything I would choose would be a good bet. I came across these "Holiday Red Raspberry Chocolate Bars," and thought they sounded amazing. And why wait until the holidays to enjoy them?!

These are really good. No lie. It's the perfect mix of raspberry and chocolate - neither is too overwhelming. And the crumbly crust with pecans is the perfect complement. You could make these with any kind of jam. I bet cherry would be good.

Ingredients

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter or margarine
1 jar (12 oz.) seedless red raspberry jam
1-2/3 cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)


Directions

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease 13x9x2 baking pan.

2. Stir together flour, sugar pecans and egg in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside 1-1/2 cups crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Crumble reserved crumb mixture evenly over top.

3. Bake 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.

Source: Hershey's Recipe Collection

1 comments:

Racheal Desmone

These look amazing! I was thinking about baking them for my soldier this month for Baking GALS. Any idea on how well they will hold up during shipping?

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008