Monday, July 19, 2010

Blackberry Wine Bundt Cake

For our crafting gathering this month, I didn't know what to make. But then I stumbled across this recipe and thought it sounded like a really good summer treat - berries, wine, cake - how can you go wrong?

I was nearly giddy to buy wine for the recipe - it has been so long since I've bought alcohol! I used frozen blackberries just because they were cheaper and more convenient for my grocery shopping purposes.

I didn't make much glaze because I didn't want to make it a sticky mess or overpower the cake with the wine flavor. The cake is really easy to make, really pretty and extremely flavorful. It is moist, sweet and fruity. It was a hit at craft party and at work, where I delivered the leftovers.

Ingredients for the cake:
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 box white cake mix
1 box blackberry jello
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup blackberry wine (the blogger I got the recipe from used Arbor Mist, so I did, too.)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup chopped blackberries (or more if you wish)

Ingredients for the glaze:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup blackberry wine
2-3 cups confectioner's sugar


Directions:
Grease a bundt pan (I had to go out and buy one - they are round, with a bumpy top and a stick in the middle - the cake bakes upside down). I just rubbed a bit of butter all in the insides. If you grease another way, go for it.

Dump the 1/2 cup of pecans around the bottom of the pan

In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, wine, jello, vegetable oil, blackberries and eggs. Make sure all clumps are out.

Then pour on top of the pecans in the bundt pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

Take out of oven, but do not remove from pan. Take a long pronged fork, and poke holes all around the top (actually, the bottom of the cake once you flip it). Pour half of the glaze mixture onto the cake while it is still hot.

Allow the cake to cool for an hour. Take a decorative plate, and put it on top of the pan, flipping the pan gently to get the cake out.

Carefully drizzle the top of the cake with the remaining glaze mixture. If you are running low, add a bit more wine and sugar. If you really want the cake to look purple and have thick glaze, add more sugar.

Source: This blog

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008