Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pina Colada Cake

It's been hot in Phoenix lately (duh), and with the Fourth of July approaching, I decided I wanted to celebrate our country's birthday with some kind of refreshing dessert. My husband agreed, requesting something with fruit.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant, so I wasn't interested in standing in the kitchen for hours on end. So I perused my "101 Things To Do With a Cake Mix" book. Those recipes are always quick and easy, and I knew I could find something that fit the bill.

I came across this Pina Colada Cake and knew it sounded like a winner.

Ingredients

1 yellow cake mix
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
8 oz. whipped topping
2/3 cup coconut

Directions

Prepare cake mix as directed on the back of the package.

Mix 1/2 can of the pineapple into batter. Bake according to directions on the package.

With a fork, poke holes in warm cake at 1-inch intervals. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake. Allow cake to cool.


Spread whipped topping over the cake. Sprinkle the top with coconut and remaining pineapple.


Source: 101 Things To Do With a Cake Mix

My notes:

Instead of layering the whipped cream, coconut and pineapple on the top, I decided to just mix the three together to make it more cohesive. It was delish!

If you like moist cake, you'll love this. The pineapple and milk make the cake practically melt in your mouth.


Be forewarned:

Baking this cake will cause you to have "Escape" by Rupert Holmes going through your head for hours.

Happy July 4!

1 comments:

Anonymous

I wonder if this would work with cream of coconut instead of the sweetened condensed milk.

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008