Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Orange Chip Muffins

I was flipping through one of my little books full of clipped-out recipes for a dinner recipe a while back, and I flipped past this little gem. I came back to it, realized I had all of the ingredients except the coconut, and I left it out to make the next day.

Simply put, I heart these muffins.

The orange flavor really comes through, and the coconut adds a crunchy sweetness. I'm pretty sure you'd still have a tasty treat if you omit the coconut, but for our family, it was a hit. Most of the time when I make muffins or cupcakes, there's waaaayyyy too much batter and I end up making more than the two dozen the recipe in question is *supposed* to yield. But these were spot on. We froze a dozen and have been munching on them occasionally - and I will definitely be making these again!

Ingredients:
3 cups of four
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained and coarsely chopped
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Topping:
1 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of butter, melted

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375. Place 24 paper or foil liners into 2 muffin pans.

2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.


3. In another large bowl, beat together sugar, orange juice, oil and eggs. On low beat in the flour mixture until combined. Fold in the oranges and chocolate chips. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Spoon batter equally into the lined muffin pans, about scant 1/4 cup into each.

4. Topping: In a small bowl, stir together coconut, sugar and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over each muffin.


5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack before removing from pan.

Source: An old magazine recipe clipping

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008