Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The things we do for love

I found some photos from my great Christmas Baking Adventure of 2010, which yielded such yummy gems as Brownie Crackles and Chocolate Caramel Cracker Candy.

While I am fully aware these were taken months ago, it's not the first time a late-night baking session has occurred in our home, and I'm certain it won't be the last. I had agreed to bake up a few plates of cookies for Tim's holiday work potluck, and I also needed some cookies to send out with gifts we were mailing the next day.

I came home from work around midnight, and Operation Bake All Night commenced. Tim was working days back then, so he went to bed hours before I was done with this project. I think I made five or six different kinds of cookies and had a pretty good routine down by the end of it. But I was exhausted. And tired of washing dishes, particularly my mixing bowls and baking sheets. And if I remember correctly, minutes after I finished the last batch, washed the dishes and covered and packed everything up appropriately, my daughter woke up. She'd been sleeping through the night for months, yet apparently the little Betty Crocker in her woke up that night and decided she wanted to party with Mommy ... at 4 a.m.

After getting Elle back to sleep, I stumbled to bed for a few hours - no time for sweet dreams, I just wanted sleep.

Ah, the life of a Baker.

Some of my creations.
Ugh.
Oven on, and it's 3:40 in the morning. Kill. Me. Now.
What's the craziest baking adventure you've had? Stayed up all night to finish a birthday cake? Promised to make dozens of cookies for a work or school function and then finished them at the last minute? Share your stories, folks - just remembering this night makes me feel a little nuts, and I'd like to know I'm not alone :)

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008