Tuesday, July 5, 2011

French Toast

For some reason, I have been craving French toast lately. I think it started when I went to a bridal shower brunch and one of the girls made this amazing French toast. But I've always been intimidated by French toast - it isn't always the healthiest breakfast food, and for a lifetime calorie-counter like myself, it was considered off limits. I also had this vision of a complex, super-involved preparation that should be reserved only for the most special of guests and occasions.

But then I got over that. And when I was struck by this craving, and coincidentally presented with a surplus of bread (it was whole wheat, although the recipe calls for white) and eggs, I decided to go for it.

It. Was. So. Easy.

And soooo good.

I'm hooked. I've got two other French toast recipes already bookmarked to try, and I think I can safely say that Elle and Tim are definitely willing to act as my test-tasters on this mission.

In fact, I might have to make this again just to take a photo, because I neglected to do so the first time I made it :) I attempted to make a half-batch but only ended up with enough coating for five pieces of bread, which worked fine for the three of us.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 slices white bread
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, brown sugar and nutmeg; stir well to combine (I added cinnamon as well, but I didn't sprinkle it at the end).

2. Soak bread slices in the egg mixture until saturated

3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Brown slices on both sides, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve hot.


Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008