Monday, July 11, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries

Elle's loving the sweet potato fries.
I've mentioned before that until recently, I've considered sweet potatoes to be the evil relative to my beloved pumpkin. But when we started solid food with my daughter, Elle, I was desperate to expose her to as many fruits and vegetables as possible. I'm much more of a fruit person myself, and I usually get my veggies from heaping salads - heaping salads that aren't exactly the best food for a young baby.

We've followed baby-led weaning to introduce solids to Elle, which means table foods - no purees. In my quest for "ways to give my child veggies," I found an easy recipe for sweet potato fries. They're a great food for baby led weaning, and they've got plenty of flavor. Elle loves them - and so do I :) I must admit that not all of the fries make it to her high chair. I like this recipe because it is easy to tweak the amount and types of spices - some times I use nutmeg instead of ginger, and I almost always omit the coriander and cardamom.

The verdict: Excellent, healthy vegetable options for both babies and adults.

Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes, cut into french fries
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons light olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Rinse the sweet potato fries with cold water and drain. Spread onto a baking sheet.

3. Stir the cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, coriander, and brown sugar together in a bowl; sprinkle over the fries. Drizzle the olive oil over the fries.


4. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to serve.

Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008