Monday, March 5, 2012

Golden Gate Lasagna

I'm not a big lasagna fan. I've never really gotten the appeal of ricotta cheese, and it just seems like a lot of work to make a big pan of lasagna, especially for two people. Tim, on the other hand, loves lasagna.

We remained a lasagna-less household until a year or two ago, when I found this recipe. I've have made it several times since, and we love it. It's simple, it's a great size for two people (including one who doesn't eat leftovers ::shoots death glare at husband::) and it's easy to make during a toddler's nap time for baking at dinner time. I also love the fact that I can customize it so that Tim can have his ricotta side, and I can have my ricotta-free side. It's easy to clean up and we don't waste a ton of food.

This recipe calls for cottage cheese, but I use ricotta. Sometimes I buy the tomato sauce with oregano and basil in it, other times I buy plain tomato sauce - either way, I can adjust the amount of spices and seasonings I want to include in the meal. Bottom line, this is an awesome recipe.

The inventor of loaf pan lasagna is a genius. If you have picky eaters in your family but love lasagna, or if you're cooking for a small household and hate wasting food, this is perfect for you.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 (8-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 of a 10-ounce package wide lasagna noodles, uncooked
3/4 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Brown beef. Stir in garlic salt, onion, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile cook noodles as package directs until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. (I make 10-12 noodles, but I usually only use nine.)

Place 1/3 of noodles in 8-inch loaf pan (you'll have to trim the noodles). Layer with beef sauce, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. Repeat, making two more layers.

Bake in 375 degree F oven 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

NOTE: If prepared ahead and refrigerated before baking allow 10 more minutes oven time.

From: Recipelink.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008