Monday, March 12, 2012

Thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie bars

Helllllllloooooo amazing new dessert. I saw this pop up in my Google reader and made it three days later. The butter taste is strong, and the bars melted in my mouth. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but the original post mentioned using any kind of chips. I have visions of white chocolate and butterscotch chips dancing in my head.

I had to get these out of the house quickly, so when I met with a friend for dinner and drinks, I sent them with her to give to my former coworkers. (And the few I kept for Tim and Elle were gone so fast I neglected to take a photo!)

These were simple and took an extremely short amount of time to prepare. I had all of the ingredients on hand, and the preparation and clean up were a cinch. Do yourself (and your family and friends) a favor and make these :)

Ingredients:

  • 2 ⅛ cups all-purpose flour (10 1/2 ounces)
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 cup light brown sugar (7 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Place another piece of parchment paper in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugars until combined. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Transfer to prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
  4. Bake until top is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 27 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Remove bars from pan by lifting parchment overhang and transfer to cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Source: Sweet Pea's Kitchen

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008