Saturday, June 9, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

I realized a few weeks ago that while I have pinned many a things on Pinterest, I have done very little with any of them. I haven't crafted, read, fashioned, traveled, redecorated, cooked or baked anything from my boards.

I vowed to change that, and when the urge to bake struck me last weekend, I turned to my "Yummers" board. I found a few recipes that looked good and narrowed them down to what I had the ingredients for in my kitchen.

Enter these beauties. They were easy to make, wowed Tim and won over my coworkers. To describe them as "melt in your mouth" does no justice, and while I originally thought they'd be best serve chilled (as chocolate tends to melt in 5.7 seconds in the Florida summer), I strongly encourage you to try a melt-y bar. 


Ingredients:
1 (18.25) package plain yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used reduced-fat)
2 eggs
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup coconut (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


Combine cake mix, melted butter, peanut butter, and eggs in a large bowl using a mixer or spoon. Press this into a 9X13 pan reserving 1 1/2 cup of the mixture to crumble on top.

In a small pot, melt chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut.

Spread chocolate mixture over the mixture pressed in the pan and then crumble the 1 1/2 cups of reserved cake mixture on top evenly.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

3 comments:

Nancy

Oh yeah, baby - I'm thinkin' grad party... LOL

Nancy

Coming out of the oven in 2 minutes - used dark chocolate cake mix (because I forgot to buy yellow!) and dark chocolate chips. I will report! :-)

Nancy

Oh. My. Gosh. TOTAL win. Unbelievably delicious.........

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008