Sunday, January 10, 2010

Neapolitan Bundt Cake

I was originally going to make this cake a few weeks before I actually made it ... but I realized that although I had everything else to make it, I lacked the white cake mix. And I didn't think yellow would be a good substitute.

So I got the white cake mix and made it for a holiday potluck at my husband's office. It was quite unusual, very moist and delicious.

I made a few modifications based on the comments on allrecipes.com. I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of strawberry extract instead 1 teaspoon, added 1/8 cup strawberry preserves to the strawberry mixture, and increased the chocolate syrup to 1/3 cup.

I wasn't all that impressed with the chocolate glaze, either. It was very runny, and I think if I made this cake again, I'll melt some chocolate chips to drizzle over the cake or even just dust it with powdered sugar.

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

1 teaspoon strawberry extract (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons)
(I added 1/8 cup strawberry preserves)
1/4 cup chocolate syrup (I used 1/3 cup)
3 drops red food coloring
2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons chocolate syrup


Directions

1. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).


2. Blend the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs on low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the bundt pan.


3. Measure 1/2 of the remaining batter into a small bowl and stir in the strawberry extract and food color (as much as you want to make a pretty, dark pink color). This is when I also added the strawberry preserves. Carefully pour this into the pan.


4. Stir 1/4 (I used 1/3) cup chocolate syrup into the remaining batter and carefully pour this into the pan on top of the strawberry batter.

5. Bake for about 40 minutes in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven. Cool 15 minutes.

6. Remove from pan and drizzle chocolate glaze over the top.


7. To make chocolate glaze: Mix together confectioners' sugar and 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup until smooth. If necessary, a few drops of water or a small amount of additional confectioners' sugar may be added until the desired consistency is obtained. Drizzle over top of the bundt cake.

Source: allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008