Sunday, January 3, 2010

Going bananas at the grocery store


I was unpacking my bags after a trip to the grocery store recently, when I pulled out about 7 bananas from one bag. All the bananas were separated from each other, which I thought was odd. I remembered picking up a bunch of about six bananas that were all still attached to each other.

I turned to Mike, and said, "What the heck happened to our bananas? Why are they all loose from each other?" He looked at me, and then looked at our kitchen counter, where a more familiar looking bunch of bananas was already sitting.

We got someone else's bananas (and a bag of mini-marshmallows, it turned out). We really like bananas. But that's a LOT of bananas for two people to consume in a week, particularly considering that we'd also bought pineapple, pears and apples.

Knowing I would have several bananas going bad quickly --


-- I logged onto allrecipes.com, and located a banana bread recipe. Of course, as always, I read over a large chunk of the comments, so I could easily fine-tune the recipe (see my notes below).

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

1. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.


2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter or marg
arine. Beat the egg slightly, and mix into the creamed mixture with the bananas. Mix in sifted ingredients until just combined. Stir in milk and nuts. Spread batter into one greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until top is brown and cracks along the top.



My notes

*I took some of the commenters' advice and added 1 tspn vanilla, 1 tspn cinnamon, and a little extra banana (since I had plenty). I had so much banana, in fact, that I doubled the recipe and made two loaves. I also substituted half of the white sugar for brown sugar, for color.

*I didn't have any walnuts to add, but I did have chocolate chips, so I added about a cup of those. I have a mega sweet tooth, and it was a little too sweet even for me. Next time, I'd skip the chocolate chips and make sure I had some walnuts to throw in.

*Also, to help it stay extra moist, cover with foil immediately after removing from oven for about half an hour.

*I baked mine initially for about 40 minutes, and then checked it every five minutes or so after that to see if it was done. In the end, it probably took close to 60 minutes, but I think I overbaked it ever-so-slightly. About 55 minutes would probably have done it for me. (My oven bakes on the quicker end of the spectrum.)

1 comments:

Jupiter Family
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008