Sunday, July 26, 2009

Chocolate Cherry Chaos Cake

I'm hoping to visit my grandmother this week, so in honor of her, I wanted to share this recipe. Grandma used to make this cake for my sister's birthday, and it's SOOOO easy to make. The cake itself isn't very unhealthy (moisture from the pie filling and eggs, not oil or butter), but the icing is not exactly the most nutritious. It's moist, makes a lot o' cake and is super easy. We always called it chocolate cherry cake, but I renamed it Chocolate Cherry Chaos about three years ago.



Ingredients:
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 can cherry pie filling
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon almond flavoring (optional)

Frosting:
1 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
6 oz package (it's one cup, I use half a 12 oz. package) of semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Mix cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, and flavoring by hand. Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan and bake at 350° about 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. (I use a 10X15 jelly roll pan and bake for 20-30 minutes.)

After I remove the cake from the oven, I start the frosting. For frosting, place sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour over warm cake.

Source: Grandma

1 comments:

Brian K. Root

I just wanted to let you know that I made this today for a picnic/cookout and it was a hit! Everyone loved it... including ME!

I love reading all of your recipes and am encouraged to try even more now that I've finally made one of them!

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008