Friday, July 3, 2009

Schmoopie(y?) Pies

I told my husband that I wanted to bake him something special last weekend. He’s been doing a ton of work around the condo lately, and we have a beautiful new bathroom to show for it. I figured the least I could do is provide him with something sweet.

He happily requested Schmoopie Pies. Or are they Schmoopy Pies? I don’t know. The recipe calls them “Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.” A colleague once dubbed them “Super Oreos,” but the name that stuck came from my Mom, who claims they are like a treat called Schmoopie Pies that she once ate.

Google is no help on this one. Another colleague tried to search the name and found that “Schmoopie/y Pie” seems to be a popular cat name or term of endearment for a significant other, not a dessert.

Regardless. They’re good.


Ingredients
Cookies:
2 packages devil's food cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
Filling:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mixes, oil and eggs; mix well. Roll into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Do not flatten.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks (cookies will flatten as they cool).


In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread on the bottom of half of the cookies:





Top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator.


I even made Mike a big heart-shaped Schmoopie Pie:

And then.... I topped it with dinosaur sprinkles. You know, to make it more manly.

Then, since I was having fun, I threw some red and blue sprinkles on the rest of the batch. These Schmoopie Pies are patriotic.

Source: Taste of Home's Cake Mix Creations

1 comments:

Jen

Thanks for another quick, easy, and yummy recipe!! :)

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008