Friday, May 14, 2010

Celebrating Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo is a very popular holiday to celebrate in Arizona. Mostly, it is celebrated with cervezas and margaritas. Since I can't celebrate that way this year, I opted to consume something else in honor of the holiday: Mexican corn bread.

I made this for Cinco de Mayo last year, and swore I'd make it a yearly tradition. See that post (and the recipe details) here. I thought about making it in an bread loaf form this time. But I wanted to make it after work for dinner, and I'm pregnant and hungry all the time, and making them as muffins really cut down on the baking time. ;)

When Mike got home from work, I declared that we should have a Mexican-themed dinner - the cornbread was already baking away in the oven - and enlisted his help with (i.e., asked him if he would make) some tacos.

We eat tacos a LOT, usually with ground turkey (sometimes ground chicken). Mike puts in the perfect amount of onions, spices, peppers, and even black beans. We threw together a salad on the side and wrapped the taco meat up in whole wheat tortillas, for a healthy but celebratory meal:


My notes are pretty much the same as last year. I used the whole can of chilies again, and cut down the butter and sugar. For the muffin version, you only need to bake them for about 30 minutes. They come out all warm, fluffy and delish:

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008