Thursday, August 11, 2011

Scalloped Apples Dessert (in the slow cooker)

I'm a big fan of the crock pot. It's kind of like having a personal chef - cooks while I'm not around and makes my home smell delicious. Sure, I still have to prep the meal and clean up after, but I haven't met a slow cooker meal that I didn't like, and there's something about making a meal cooking itself while I'm off drinking margaritas by the pool running errands that appeals to me.

I've never made anything dessert-y in my crock pot, though, until this recipe. I loved these apples, and so did my daughter (in fact, this reminds me I need to make this again!). They were good warm or cold, and I actually never even ice cream with them, which sounds A-MAZ-ING (again, another reason to make them soon!).


This recipe was super easy to make and didn't take long, thanks to my trusty peeler and apple corer/slicer. It made a lot, but we enjoyed them for days, including as a topping to waffles ... mmmmm ...

Channeling IHOP at home with waffles,
leftover scalloped apples and whipped cream.
Ingredients
4 Granny Smith apples
4 Golden Delicious apples
1 cup sugar (feel free to cut back)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup butter, sliced
vanilla ice cream and/or sweetened whipped cream (optional, for serving)

Directions
Use a 4-quart slow cooker. If you've only got a 6-quart, that's okay, just check on your apples after 3-4 hours on low.

Peel, core, and slice the apples.


Plop the apples into your slow cooker and toss the slices with sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and butter slices.


Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until apples have reached desired tenderness. If you cook too long, the apples will turn into applesauce.


Source: A Year of Slow Cooking

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008