Saturday, July 18, 2009

White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies

After I made the Hawaiian Delights, I had leftover macadamia nuts. I searched for recipes that used the nuts and found something that looked DELICIOUS.

My first attempt at these yielded some yummy cookies, but I think if I avoid making a few stupid errors next time, they'll taste even better :-)

One of the cardinal rules of baking or cooking is to read the recipe the whole way through before you start. I usually glance through it, being more concerned about whether I have all of the ingredients than if I need to add the eggs all at once or one at a time.

But I think I made a major goof this time, and I was lucky that it worked out fairly well. I share this with you in the hopes that you might be spared from my stupid move.

The third step says to whisk all dry ingredients together. Which I did.


And then I groaned when I read the next step, which clearly indicates that the sugar and brown sugar are not included in the "all dry ingredients" category as I had previously believed.

I surveyed my options and realized I had two choices: Go forward and hope for the best, or abandon ship, as I was out of brown sugar and could not start over.

I forged ahead. I added the dry ingredients to the warm butter and then continued with the recipe ... and the cookies were edible and even tasty, if I dare say so (and I do, but so did other people).

Ingredients:
2 c. plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled until warm
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. macadamia nuts, halved

Directions:
- Adjust oven racks to upper & lower -middle positions & heat oven to 325.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients together; set aside.
- With electric mixer, or by hand, mix butter & sugars until thoroughly combined.
- Beat in egg, yolk and vanilla until combined.
- Add dry ingredients & beat at low speed just until combined.
- Stir in chips and nuts.
- Roll scant 1/2 cup dough into ball.
- Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull into 2 equal halves.
- Rotate halves 90 degrees and, with jagged surfaces facing up, place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving ample room between each ball.


- Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft & puffy, 15-18 minutes depending on size.
- Cool cookies on sheets until able to lift without breaking and place on wire rack to cool.


From Good Things Catered, Adapted from ATK recipe

0 comments:

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008