Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cake Bars for a soldier


For this round of Operation Baking Gals, I decided to try a new recipe, but one I knew would be tasty. So I opted for a recipe that one of my former colleagues baked for my Pastry Potluck sendoff a couple months ago.

I remembered that these Chocolate Chip Cake Bars were moist and delicious, and I think they have a good chance of surviving the trip overseas. When my husband tried one, he yelled out, "Oh, WOW!" So I'm guessing that he approved of my choice.

Ingredients
1 package yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine first five ingredients and beat on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in chocolate chips and pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool before cutting.

Source: Phoebe Volk

My notes:
I never think 1 cup of chocolate chips is enough in any recipe, and since it was one of the only things really giving this recipe some pizazz, I decided to add a little more. Ok, I added almost an entire bag and then sprinkled the few remaining chips on the top, so that the top would look more enticing straight out of the oven.

Before extra chips:


After extra chips:


I do not regret this decision. :)

1 comments:

Shannon

Those look simply amazing. I couldn't agree more about 1 cup of chocolate chips is simply not enough.

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008