Friday, April 30, 2010

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

Kristin and I have a new tradition of sending each other baked goods for special occasions, so as her birthday approached, I asked her whether the baby was craving anything in particular. She said chocolate and sugar were high on the list these days.

Chocolate and sugar? Oh, I can certainly work within those parameters!

I went home and poured over some recipe books. I wanted to try something new, but I wanted to make something from scratch (no cake mix this time - I wanted to mix some good, old-fashioned batter!). And it had to be something that would travel well and withstand some potential heat in either AZ or FL.

I wasn't having much luck until I came upon a recipe that I had printed out and saved years ago but never got around to making: Chocolate Sugar Cookies.

Uh, chocolate? Check. Sugar? Check. Perfect!

These are sort of a chocolate version of Mike's Nana's roll-out cookies. They're a thinner, crispier sugar cookie. They're very light, and a nice summer treat when you want something chocolaty but not too heavy.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar, and egg. Stir in syrup and melted chocolate. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon; add to creamed mixture. Chill 1 hour.
  3. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on a well-floured pastry cloth. Cut into shapes.
  4. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 to 12 minutes.
Source: allrecipes.com


My notes:

1. While I think these are good, I personally prefer a thicker, chewier sugar cookie. Mike prefers them like this. To each their own! If you're a thin, crispy kind of cookie person, these are definitely for you. Next time, I might try to make them a little thicker and cook them the same amount of time to see if they come out a little chewy.

2. The recipe says to bake them for 10-12 minutes. I found that 9 minutes was plenty in my oven. They get overdone very easily, so keep a close eye on them.

3. Kristin informed me that these traveled very well! I lined a container with wax paper, layered the cookies in and stuck paper napkins between each pile, so they wouldn't bump into each other and break too much. Then I topped it off with a couple of paper towels to cushion the top, and sent them off.

4. This batch of cookies made me realize that I really need to invest in some non-holiday cookie cutters. My only two options were stars and cats. Pretty pathetic.

2 comments:

Shannon

look @ walmart for the wilton set of cookie cutters. they are plastic but there are 101 of them. every letter of the alphabet, numbers, punctuation and every holiday. also some random shapes like a dinosaur etc. it was $10. can't beat that!

PhaseThreeOfLife

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks, Shannon!

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008