Friday, June 26, 2009

Butter cookies with caramel frosting

I am enamored with the simple Cake Mix Cookies Kristin wrote about back in April. It is possibly the simplest recipe known to man, and I always have the ingredients on hand. When I peruse the cake mixes at Fry's, I'm always thinking about what new flavor combinations of cake and frosting I can try.
You may remember I loved the red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting combo.
Although the frosting-in-a-plastic-tub is pretty good, nothing beats homemade frosting. So last weekend, I concocted a winning new combination: golden butter cake mix cookies with homemade caramel frosting.
Although the frosting claims to be "caramel," I think it tastes more like maple. And I'm a-ok with that; it reminds me of the maple candy from Ohio that melts in your mouth... yum.
Store them in the fridge. This frosting is total money when it's cold.

Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients
1 package cake mix (golden butter, in this case)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
Splash of water

Directions
Blend all ingredients (do not use mixer). Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Source: cooks.com

Caramel Frosting

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 milk
2 cups confectioner's sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Add milk; bring moisture back to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Spread warm frosting immediately unto cake.

Source: Duncan Hines Cake Mix Magic

Blogger template 'PlainFish' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008